Martin & Francis Lehnis Railroad Museum
Martin & Francis Lehnis Railroad Museum opened September, 2007. The Museum exhibits the railroad history of Brownwood, Central Texas, and the American Southwest. The exhibit includes railroad lenterns, model trains of all sizes and ages, railroad equipment, interactive telegraph equipment used to send telegraph messages, railroad videos, photographs of railroad employees, structures and trains, and the sights and sounds of trains, trains, trains! The first Saturday of every month is Family Day with special programs and discounted admission.
Brown County Museum of History
The Brown County Museum (formerly the old Brown County Jail) is located at 212 N. Broadway near the Brown County Courthouse. It resembles an ancient European castle in its design. It was completed in 1903 by Englishman stone mason, William F. Morton. The building has 4 stories with the third floor containing a trap door and lever for executions.
Museum’s Education Center located across the street at 209 N. Broadway maintains an extensive collection of history from Camp Bowie’s WWII with artifacts, photos and POW Camp history. Also, it maintains Brown County’s history beginning with the Plains Indians and ending with the WWII victory. There is a Kidz Zone with hands-on artifacts from our rich heritage..
Admission: $3.00. Senior Citizens 65+ and Military with current ID are $2.00; children 5 years and younger are Free.
Open schedule: Thursday and Friday from 10:00 – 2:00; Saturday 10:00 –4:00pm
36th Division Memorial Park
Camp Bowie in Brownwood was a vital military training center during WWII. Today there is a memorial park displaying military equipment and vehicles used during WWII through Vietnam honoring the role the United States Military has played in the history and development of Brownwood.
For more information on Camp Bowie click here.
The Gordon Wood Hall of Champions Museum
the Gordon Wood Hall of Champions Museum pays tribute to Coach gordon Wood, the winningest high school football coach in Texas, as well as the "Hall of Champions," a collection of athletes and coaches included into the prestigious "Hall of Champions." The first room of the museum is designed to look like a football locker room and features a video of Coach Wood welcoming guests to the museum, along with tributes by more than two dozen top coaches in the nation. The second room displays memorabilisfrom Coach Wood's career. The third room showcases Wood's playbooks and recognizes members of his coaching staff.
The Hall of Champions may be viewed during office hours of the Brownwood Economic Development Council.
For more information, please contact the Brownwood Area Chamber of Commerce.
The Rufus F. Hardin Museum - Currently Under Renovation
The Rufus F. Hardin Museum held its groundbreaking March 25, 2009 to begin renovations of the School. Although not yet open, visitors may drive by the property at 505 cordell. The purpose of the Rufus F. Hardin Museum is to preserve Brownwood's African American history of the community through preservation of the Rufus F. Hardin School, collecting and exhibiting historical artifacts, memorabilia, presentation of educational programs and other activities significant to the history of African Americans in Brown County, including relationships to Texas history and American history. The Hardin School opened in September, 1917 with three classrooms and an auditorium. The school was called Brownwood Colored High School and went through the 10th grade.
In 1947, R. F. Hardin High School with its 12 grades became a "fully affiliated and accredited high school." In 1970, R. F Hardin High School closed. The real heritage of the rufus F. Hardin School lies in its past and future.
The Blanket Museum of History
The Blanket Museum of History was opened July 29, 2009 to display and preserve the history of Blanket, Texas, in Brown county. the museum has many artifacts from Blanket, as well as serves as a research center for family history.
Many genealogy resources are available for research. The museum is housed in the former Blanket State Bank building (built in 1901) and the former Ernest Allen Drug Store building (opened in 1928).