The Brownwood Area Chamber of Commerce was established in 1906, but was known then as the Brownwood Commercial Club. In 1907 the name was changed to the 50,000 Club, and later the Business Men’s League. In 1915, the Business Men’s League became the Brownwood Chamber of Commerce and was chartered in 1940 under Gene Mattox, Chamber Manager.
The name changed again in 1993 to the Brown County Chamber of Commerce and received accreditaion through the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, while under the direction of Oscar Jarvis. Currently it operates under the present name, the Brownwood Area Chamber of Commerce.
Today’s Chamber is an active business organization, instrumental in the steady growth and forward movement of the community. In 1940, the Chamber was asked to give consideration to the possible sites for Camp Bowie when it became known that the training camp would be located in Brownwood. A negotiation committee proposed 2200 acres to the army, which became home for Camp Bowie.
In addition to the Industrial Foundation, other Chamber committees have evolved into vital independent entities throughout the years. The Brown County Water Improvement Board originated as a committee of the Chamber charged with coordination of the building of Lake Brownwood.
The Brownwood Beautification Commission and Brownwood Community Cultural Affairs Commission originated as committees of the Chamber, and continue to be vital organizations committed to the betterment of the community.
In 1993, the Boys & Girls Club Task Force evolved to serve as the Board of Directors for the Boys & Girls Club of Brownwood, which opened its doors in June of 1995.
In 1994, the Chamber was awarded a grant from the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services for the creation and operation of the Family Services Center.
As stated in the articles of incorporation, the purpose of the Chamber is to improve the environment in which the commerce is conducted. The Chamber is designed to acquire, preserve, and disseminate valuable business information, and to promote the interest of trade in Brown County and the State of Texas.